Takargo – Transporte de Mercadorias, SA is the first Portuguese private rail freight operator. It is committed to implement a culture of excellence focused on customer satisfaction, valuing employees, complying with safety rules and following good environmental practices.
To be the leader in rail freight in the Iberian market, providing innovative services in an integrated transport perspective, guaranteeing the reliability, quality, and safety of all operations.
Operate and boost rail freight transport in the Iberian Peninsula by offering innovative services, contributing to an improvement in the quality of service and the environment, increasing national competitiveness.
There is a set of values in which we believe and which we rely on when making decisions:
Quality of our services;;
Trusted relationships with Customers and Partners;
Efficiency of our activity;
Our 2021 key figures
Kms travelled in Portugal
Kms in the Iberian Peninsula
The principles of continuous improvement and sustainable development are always present in the activities promoted by TAKARGO, thus committing to:
- Ensure customer satisfaction, looking for solutions to offer services in accordance with agreed requirements to grant their trust and loyalty.
- Create value for Shareholders by meeting their expectations.
- Promote employees’ training ensuring the necessary skills to grant the proper transport of customers' goods.
- Provide adequate investment to ensure the safety conditions of equipment and workplaces and to reduce the probability of safety hazards.
- Protect the environment, minimizing the environmental impacts associated with TAKARGO's activities, namely through the efficient use of resources and the prevention of pollution.
- Identify and whenever possible eliminate hazards and reduce risks providing adequate healthy and safe working conditions in order to prevent work accidents and damage to health.
- Promote employees partake providing access to clear information and providing adequate mechanisms for their participation.
- Promote a partnership relationship with suppliers, in order to ensure the continuous improvement of the service provided.
- Comply with all applicable legal, regulatory and other requirements.
- Continuously improve the effectiveness of its Quality, Environment and Safety Management System, namely through internal audits and monitoring of established indicators.
SGQAS NP ISO 9001:2015 Certificate
NP ISO 9001 specifies requirements for a quality management system, allowing organizations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide services that satisfy both customer requirements and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements, as well as increasing the customer satisfaction through effective application of the system.
SGQAS NP ISO 14001:2015 Certificate
NP ISO 14001 specifies requirements for an environmental management system providing organizations with a framework to protect the environment and respond to changing environmental conditions, in balance with socio-economic needs. This standard allows organizations to achieve the intended results of their environmental management system, which provide added value for the environment, for the organization itself and for interested parties.
SGQAS NP ISO 45001:2019 Certificate
NP ISO 45001 specifies requirements for an occupational safety and health (OSH) management system, enabling organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces, through the prevention of work-related injuries and health conditions, as well as through of proactively improving OSH performance.
O sistema de certificação das entidades responsáveis pela manutenção de veículos ferroviários, em conformidade com a Diretiva (EU) 2016/798 e Regulamento de execução (EU) 2019/779, proporciona às entidades responsáveis pela manutenção dos veículos a gestão das atividades de manutenção e o desempenho das funções técnicas de manutenção, por meios próprios ou por meio de contratos com terceiros. A Takargo está certificada como Entidade Responsável pela Manutenção (ERM) dos seus vagões.
Training Entity Certificate
In accordance with legal regulations, the certification of entities that carry out the activity of initial, continuous, and specific training of train drivers is mandatory. Takargo is an IMT I.P. certified training entity since May 2021.
Portuguese and Spanish Railway Safety Certificate
The safety management system (SMS), in accordance with Directive 2004/49/EC on railway safety, is based on a structured approach that allows the identification of hazards and the continuous management of risks associated with the activities of the railway undertaking to prevent accidents, ensuring that it achieves its business objectives safely. The proper application of an SMS by railway undertakings is a fundamental element for the success of the entire safety regulatory framework provided in the Railway Safety Directive, as it constitutes the basis used by the National Safety Authorities of the European Union for the issuance of safety certificates.
License to Operate Rail Freight Services
The License for operating rail freight services is the authorization for access to the activity of providing rail transport services appropriate to the type of service to be performed and is issued by the National Security Authorities of the European Union. Companies operating on the railway network, in addition to the requirement to have the appropriate licensing, must hold a safety certificate.
Takargo's License issued by the IMT I.P. concerns the operation of rail freight services.
Takargo annually calculates the CO2 emission of the rail freight activity, analysing the contribution of the rail sector in reducing CO2 emissions compared to road transport.
Takargo's history begins at the end of 2006, continuing the business diversification strategy of the Mota-Engil Group, becoming the first Portuguese private rail freight transport operator.